When I was young (two years ago), I would wake up Christmas morning with my siblings, go into my parents’ room and wake them up. We would kick dad out and send him downstairs to get things ready. He would take the dog out, turn on all the Christmas lights, and put on the Christmas music. When things were all set, he would yell back upstairs to us and let us know it was time to come down. Walking down those stairs and seeing the presents under the lighted tree with the Christmas music playing was magical. There are a lot of Christmas songs out there, but below is my list of the ones that never get old. These are some of my favorite Christmas songs broken down into funny songs, religious songs, and songs of the season.
Top 5 Funny Christmas Songs:
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer – My sister and I use to belt this out whenever it came on the radio and we would laugh and laugh. How can you not sing along?
- The Twelve Pains of Christmas – “One goes out they all go out” “why the hell are the blinking” “she’s a witch I hate her” – so many great lines.
- Nuttin for Christmas
- Walking Around in Women’s Underwear – I mean, the name pretty much says it all, but, just in case you need a visual:
- I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas – I mean…who wouldn’t want a hippopotamus?
BONUS: Dominic the Donkey – As an Italian, I couldn’t leave this one out.
Top 5 Religious Christmas Songs
- Oh Holy Night – Now, I’m not a huge fan of Celine Dion, but she crushes this song. No matter who sings it though, as soon as they get to the “fall on your knees” part, I get shivers. I then proceed to get the shivers several more times throughout the song. So beautiful.
- Silent Night – This is another song that has the ability to give me chills. When I heard this version the other night, I got major goose bumps. Even if you don’t like country music, you can appreciate the beautiful harmonies.
- Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
- O Come All Ye Faithful – I cannot help but think of the “classic” Christmas movie, A Very Brady Christmas
- Angels We Have Heard on High
Top 10 Sounds of the Season
- All I Want for Christmas is You – Oh Mariah!
- Carol of the Bells – I once sang this song in chorus so I’m probably one of the few people who actually know the lyrics. However, I still prefer Tran Siberian Orchestra’s version.
- Christmas Canon – Again, Tran Siberian Orchestra does it right. I saw these guys in concert and they are truly amazing!
- Santa Baby – “forgot to mention one little thing, a ring” and of course all of that other fun stuff
- Baby Its Cold Outside – Love this song and the playfulness of the lyrics
- I’ll Be Home for Christmas – Living several hours away from my family, this song hits home. Last year was the first year I did not wake up at my parent’s house Christmas morning and I won’t be home for Christmas this year either. Growing up isn’t easy.
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Everyone should have a merry Christmas
- You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch – Stink! Stank! Stunk!
- Jingle Bell Rock – Of Course
- Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree – It’s not Christmas without a Christmas tree
BONUS: Mike and his sister love Snoopy vs. The Red Baron. I don’t get it, but I include it just for them
What are some of your favorite Christmastime songs?